Dollars & Sense
At Monson Savings Bank, we have become increasingly concerned about financial literacy and the fact that many people lack the money management knowledge and skills they need to ensure long-term stability for themselves. That's why we developed "Dollars & Sense from Monson Savings." This initiative includes our partnership with MassSaves, teaching financial literacy in classrooms, complimentary community workshops on important financial topics, our NextGen products and services for kids, teens and college students, and our financial advisory services.
Dollars & Sense in the Classroom
Monson Savings Bank employees are teaching a robust financial education curriculum to 5th and 6th graders in several communities. The cornerstone of this curriculum is MoneyIsland™, an exciting interactive online world that promotes financial literacy through adventurous quest. When kids play MoneyIsland, they enter a virtual world that not only makes learning fun, it also tracks and encourages their progress. Specifically, our Dollars & Sense in the Classroom curriculum consists of this seven week program:
- Lesson 1: Saving, Spending & Sharing. Students will be able to identify, evaluate, and explain how money is divided between savings, spending and sharing.
- Lesson 2: Taxes, Wants & Needs. Students will be able to identify, evaluate, and explain how spending is divided between taxes, wants, and needs.
- Lesson 3: Types of Income. Students will be able to identify, evaluate, and explain the difference between passive and earned income. They will learn how passive income is earned through investing in rental property, owning a business, and buying/selling stocks.
- Lesson 4: Interest! Students will be able to identify what interest is and how it's earned.
- Lesson 5: Using Credit Wisely. Students will be able to explain the basic concepts of credit and credit cards and why using a credit card is paying with borrowed money.
- Lesson 6: Assets & Liabilities. Students will be able to differentiate between assets and liabilities. Combined, these lessons give the students the tools needed to discuss options for retirement.
The final week is reserved for graduation and celebration!
MoneyIsland is fun for all ages! Check it out today!
Every year, we offer complimentary workshops with expert speakers on important financial topics. Past topics have included estate planning, long term care, trusts and other estate planning tools for individuals with special needs, economic trends and outlook, succession planning for businesses, identity theft, and information for first time homebuyers.
NextGen Banking Programs
Financial Advisory Services
We were one of the first community banks in our area to offer access to Financial Advisory Services to help people grow their money, get retirement income from their savings, save for college, and protect their families. We offer these Financial Advisory Services through Infinex Financial Group.*